Okay, so here’s the deal with squid. It really isn’t the cutest thing in the sea. It looks exactly like Kang and Kudos (the aliens from The Simpsons). I mean it REALLY isn’t visually appealing. However, a few months ago I was dining with friends at a Chinese restaurant and we decided to try something different so we went with squid. After one bite into it I kissed goodbye to chicken and all other meats (temporarily of course!). I’ve never been a huge fan of seafood but this is D.E.L.I.C.I.O.U.S! Here’s the recipe:
What you’ll need:
– 1 Chilli green pepper (finely chopped)
– 1 Chilli red pepper ( finely chopped)
– 1 small onion ( finely chopped)
– 1 tbsp of salt
– Chilli powder ( to preference)
– 1 1/2 cup of corn flour
– 1 1/2 cup of plain flour
– 2 medium eggs
– 250g of squid
– 2 cups of vegetable oil
1. Firstly line up the squid, flour, eggs and cornflour.
2. Pour vegetable oil into deep fryer, pan, hot wok (whatever it is you use) and leave it for 4-5 minutes to heat up.
3. Add a tablespoon of salt to the portion of squid and massage it in.
4. Now it’s time to make the crispy batter. Grab 2 pieces of squid , loosely twist them together. Then dip the squids firstly into flour, then eggs and lastly roll it in corn flour. Repeat this process with the whole portion. FLOUR —> EGGS —> CORNFLOUR.
5. Place the pieces of squid into fryer and leave to cook for approx 3 – 4 minutes or until golden.
6. For the salt and pepper flavour: Put salt, peppers and chilli powder into a separate pan with 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and leave it to heat up.
7. Once it’s heated combine it all together with a spatula and then add in the crispy squid.
8. Stir it slowly in the pan for around 5 minutes and then it’s ready to be served!
Love, Genie In The Kitchen.