Am I the only one who loves chocolate during the winter? There’s something about a cold breeze that makes me crave something that will just melt in my mouth. Drools. I’ve been super obsessed with cronuts and doughnuts lately, so as I sat down on my sofa in my onsie and 10 blankets and wondered what to make, like a fly it came to me. Nutella doughnuts! It’s chocolatey, nutty and unbelievably yummy! Get the step-by-step recipe here:
Prep-time: 2 hours
Cooking time:10 minutes
Makes 20 doughnuts
5 Cups of Self-raising Flour
1/4 Cup of Vegetable Shortening (Melted)
1/4 Cup of Unsalted Butter (Melted)
2 1/2 tbsp of Dried Active Yeast
1/4 Cup of Granulated Sugar
Hazelnuts (peeled and chopped)
1 1/2 Cup of Whole Milk (Warm)
1) Place the milk in a bowl. Then sprinkle the yeast and the sugar over it, leave it to activate. (Picture on right is of activated yeast)
2) Pour the butter, shortening, eggs and sugar into your mixing bowl and then whisk it together.
3) Once your yeast is activated add it into your mixing bowl. (The yeast activating can take up to 30 mins).
4) Lightly whisk the egg and yeast mixture together .
5) Add in the flour and salt. Whisk and knead it together for about 5 minutes. (you can use a standing mixer to do this)
6) Now cover the dough with plastic and place in a warm place (oven/microwave) for 1 hour. (or until it’s doubled in size)
7) Sprinkle your worktop with flour and roll it out using a rolling pin.
8) Use a biscuit cutter to cut a doughnut shape into the dough. Then place it onto a baking tray
9) Place the dough back into your warm place and leave to rise for approx 1 hour (or until it’s doubled in size)
10) Pour 3 inches of vegetable oil into a pot and allow it to heat up to a high heat.
11) Use a spatula to place the dough into the oil. (Cook it a 30 seconds a side or until lightly golden).
12) Place on greaseproof sheets for the oil to drain out and leave to cool down.
13) Fill up your piping bag with Nutella and pierce it halfway into the doughnut. (you can push out as much as you’d like).
14) Spread Nutella on top of the doughnut and pour hazelnuts over them. (optional stage).
How gorgeous and fresh was this?
Thank me later,
Enjoy, Genie In the Kitchen xxx